Thursday, August 25, 2011

It Makes Me Sad -

Today, I was lucky enough to be able to spend my whole morning and afternoon with the man that, I think, all the girl cousins (and most anyone that actually knows him) love more than anyone else in the world. My Grandpa, Donald Shurtliff, is the nicest, sweetest, most loving and caring man in the whole universe. Its impossible to be around him and not want to smile and laugh all the time!!!

This morning was a little different, though. My grandma called at 6:30 am needing someone to come help watch this wonderful man, so, of course since I love him with all my life, I volunteered. I arrived around 7:30 just in time for grandma to explain why he needed assistance and get out the door on her way to work. I let him sleep while I tried my hardest to stay awake and make sure he didnt try walking anywhere far (he was very unstable). Around 10, he got up and wanted to go downstairs, but when we got down, he didnt know why we went down stairs. So, we sat in the living room and took little naps together until the phone rang around 11:30. We decided it would be nice to get out and run some errands with my dad.. we headed up stairs to get dressed.. problem, he couldnt remember how. He was putting pants on over shorts, garments on backwards, taking his shorts off just to put them back on, and needed my help to put his shirt on correctly.

It was really hard watching the man I have always looked up to, try so hard but never getting the outcome he wanted. It was sad to hear him try and explain to me something, but not be able to get the words out correctly. Today was just hard because it made me realize, there is not cure for death; it can come anytime, in anyway... no preventing it. Hopefully he can just recover and live a couple more years healthy. I hate seeing him like this tho.

I love you Grandpa!! Always will!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment